Who would in his right mind buy another digicam even before the first he bought had not celebrated a birthday. I did.
When I was sent to US on my first trip aboard, I made up my mind to get the Canon Powershot S2 IS. It is an awesome camera. It has 12x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom. Wow and I couldn’t resist. This time my wife was a bit sceptical but she knows me well. So it was a unanimous decision and I got the beauty
* It has 12x Optical Zoom and what makes it special is that the lens is Image Stabilized and so you can get crisp pictures in 12x
* It is a combo and acts like a Camcorder too taking wonderful movies (not the crappy ones like the other digicams). It has stereo sound recorded for movies. Captures them in 30 frames per second (fluid) and you can use the 12x Zoom in movies with Stabilization. It even has wind noise reducer. Cool !!
* It has Super Macro Mode which allows you to take photos of items as close as possible
* It has a great LCD which you can twist and turn to suit overhead and difficult angled shots. It also closes protecting the LCD (see image below)
* Great Build Quality. Takes AA batteries and normal SD cards (unlike the Sony and Fuji)
450$ (with Camera Bag and 1 GB Ultra II SD card) from Bestbuy Store
My hunt for a good digital camera started way long back when Canon were having A75 models. I think that should be in 2004. I fell for Canon Powershot S1 IS, a model with 10x Optical Zoom and some great features, but since it was way too costly (was retailing for 40k in India) it was out of my reach and I settled for the entry level A series. Even then I could not make myself believe that it is worth buying a Camera for over 10k. I was waiting for my friend to travel to US to get the same. But unfortunately it did not work out and I was not going to wait any longer. My wife also encouraged me to go ahead and get it.
So finally on a rainy day I went to GK Vale in Jaynagar to get the camera that I was longing for years. It is still with me and is truly a wonderful camera and Canon have not let their A series down. They keep improving it.
The A series have some wonderful attributes
* They are powered by 2 AA rechargeable batteries which last long, are easily replaceable and cost far less than propertary batteries.
* They have good zoom for a small camera. Mine is 4X. By zoom I mean and will only mean ‘Optical Zoom’
* The latest models have Image Stabilization so that you do have lesser shaked-up images. I recommended A570 IS to my colleague and he is happy with it
* They are not too small or bulky but the right size that is comfortable to use
* They have a ton of manual features including manual focus, white balance, shutter priority, aperture priority etc
* They give nicely exposed photos.
* They are very cheap, but of great quality. You can even get them for 100$ [as on this review date]
I would highly recommend a Canon A series camera as your first digicam.
15k (with Camera Bag, AA rechargeable batties + Charger + 256MB SD Card) from GK Vale Jaynagar Store
As usual I put in a lot of research for MP3 Players and since I was going to gift it to my wife, I paid a bit more attention to aesthetics as well. iPod was the obvious choice, but somehow I have started hating people promoting too much of Proprietary software/hardware like Sony and Apple and moreover the iPod was becoming a Cult for MP3 players and its dependency on iTunes will drive my wife mad.
So my search became tedious until I found the Cube from Mobiblu. My first impression was ‘How did they manage?’. It was so small and with so much of functionality.
* The first is ease of use. It comes up as a device (UMS) in My Computer. So you can just drag and drop your MP3 files
* It supports a lot of formats including WMA
* It has a great audio quality, comparable to iPod.
* It is too cool to be not noticed by your friends
* It has minimalistic approach. One port for Audio, Charging and Data transfer
* Charges in computer while you transfer data and the battery lasts for a decent time
* The bright blue OLED display (Yes it has a display) is awesome unlike the pale LCDs seen otherwise
* It has so may sound effects like SRS, WoW, custom equalizer etc
* Even at high volume there is no degradation and it is good on your ears
* It supports FM but not quite clear in reception
* It supports Voice Recording and Recording from FM
100$ (Oct 2006) from TigerDirect.com
Anyone not reading my film posts for the first time, knows that they are not in chronological order, but in the order that I get to see them. I was so impressed by ‘Notting Hill’ that I am writing about it even though the movie is as old as 1999. The movie is a romantic comedy, both in equal proportions. Speaking of romance, it is so gently yet so deeply involved, so captivating, so emotional that it falls in the all time favorites for romantic films. Julia Roberts is at her best. Well she always is in so many other films as well. Excellent actor and so very natural. Hugh Grant portrays ‘William Thacker’ (I had to google to find his name as I was not aware) and he is soothingly calm and pleasant but does justice to his role as well.
On the comedy front too the film scores very well and is nicely integrated into the script. Songs need a special mention, especially ‘She’ by Elvis is top class. I was so captivated, I present below the video from ‘YouTube’ for your pleasure and also the lyrics if you plan to sing on behalf of someone, someone you love and care a lot. You will enjoy it. Believe me !!
May be the face I can’t forget
The trace of pleasure or regret
May be my treasure or the price I have to pay
May be the song that summer sings
May be the chill that autumn brings
May be a hundred different things
Within the measure of a day
May be the beauty or the beast
May be the famine or the feast
May turn each day into a heaven or a hell
She may be the mirror of my dreams
The smile reflected in a stream
She may not be what she may seem
Inside her shell
Who always seems so happy in a crowd
Whose eyes can be so private and so proud
No one’s allowed to see them when they cry
May be the love that cannot hope to last
May come to me from shadows of the past
That I’ll remember till the day I die
May be the reason I survive
The why and wherefore I’m alive
The one I’ll care for through the rough in ready years
I’ll take her laughter and her tears
And make them all my souvenirs
For where she goes I’ve got to be
The meaning of my life is
She, oh she